Healthy sleep is the key to mental and physical health of a person. Nowadays, lack of sleep has become a fairly common problem. Stress, bad thoughts, extraneous noise — all this negatively affects the quality of sleep. It is no accident that one of the ancient tortures is not to let a person sleep. This breaks the will of a person, he ceases to control himself and fulfills any conditions of the executioners. And during sleep, the nervous system is restored, and the person is awake and collected again.
Good sleep is the key to health
How much sleep to be collected, attentive and productive? Ideally, a person’s sleep in adulthood should last 6-8 hours. Only geniuses like Napoleon or Leonardo da Vinci, if you believe the legends, could sleep 1.5-2 hours a day. That was enough for them. But they are geniuses for that, to be different from ordinary people. For everyone else, lack of sleep is extremely harmful, and does not increase productivity, but quite the opposite.
For a good sleep, not only its quantity is important, but also its quality. It is influenced by many factors: events during the day, watching TV, using a computer, the presence of extraneous noise and the temperature in the room and your well-being. It’s hard to fall asleep if something bothers you, or the neighbors turn on the music too loud.
You will sleep much better if you follow useful tips:
- Finish working on the computer a few hours before going to bed;
- Take a warm bath with aromatic oils;
- Adjust the room temperature — it should be within 18-21 degrees;
- Try to exclude extraneous noise;
- Drink relaxing herbal teas that will help your nervous system relax;
- Monitor the condition of the sleeping place, it should not cause discomfort.
The better you sleep, the more alert you will feel after waking up, and the more productive your day will become.
What you need to know about a person’s sleep
We sleep about a third of our lives. Newborns sleep the longest — from 17 to 23 hours a day. Then a person’s sleep gradually shortens: in school-age children, the number of hours ranges from 8 to 12 hours, 20-30-year-olds may have enough and 5 hours. By the age of 60, the sleep time increases again to 12-13 hours. However, everyone has their own rest regime.
A person ‘s sleep is divided into several phases:
- Slow. It lasts about 90 minutes. During it, the body is relaxed, and the brain is inactive.
- Fast. The duration of the fast phase is 10-20 minutes. The eyeballs make rapid movements. At this moment, you may be dreaming about something.
Slow and fast phases in a healthy person alternate 5 times. During this time, you can see 4-6 dreams. It may seem that one story lasts long enough, about 1.5 hours, but in fact the duration of the dream is no more than 1-2 minutes. A person remembers the plot if he wakes up during the fast phase. The plots of dreams are usually not related to each other. Dreams are a reflection of our experiences and sensations that we are not always aware of during the waking period. If you want to know what your dream means, refer to a special dream book. Do not be afraid if there is a bad event in your plot, for example, illness or death. If you dream about it, you should not interpret the dream literally — your subconscious mind signals you about problems or difficulties in making decisions or about something else.
For a long time it was believed that color dreams are seen by people with an unhealthy psyche. But today this statement has been refuted. Most likely, stories in color come to people whose lives are full of bright events, who have something to remember. For example, children see colored dreams, because every day is a time of discovery and new impressions for them. There are much more women who see color dreams than men. And, of course, intellectuals can see stories in color — due to the high development of the brain and the variety of impressions.
The importance of sleep time and proper regime for human health
We have known for a long time that according to the way of life people are divided into “larks” (those who prefer to go to bed early and get up early) and “owls” (those who like to sit longer at night and wake up later). Since the standard work schedule of firms and enterprises (from 9 to 18 or from 10 to 19) assumes a sufficiently early awakening, the “owls” do not get enough sleep. This leads to fatigue and irritability. Therefore, a few simple recommendations on time management will help them:
- Try to go to bed no later than 23:00;
- Prepare the necessary things in the evening — so it will be easier to get ready in the morning;
- Taking a contrast shower or doing exercises makes it easier to wake up;
- Control how much time it takes you to complete daily tasks;
- Try not to put things off for the evening. Even if you are active in the evenings, remember about the negative consequences of lack of sleep.
Should the “owl” try to become a “lark” against his will? There is no definite answer. If you have a choice, and you can agree on the adjustment of the schedule with the management, then there is nothing to worry about in the “owl” mode. But if you work on a clear schedule, then you should adjust your sleep time and daily routine in favor of the “lark”.
Prolonged lack of sleep leads to such adverse consequences as:
- Deterioration of memory and concentration;
- Reduced immunity;
- Excess weight;
- Reduced performance;
- Bad mood, irritability;
- Drop in motivation;
- Deterioration of appearance.
If you do not get enough sleep for years, then all of the above will lead to serious diseases, such as diabetes, depression or stroke. In short, insufficient rest inevitably leads to a deterioration in the quality of life.
Proper and high—quality sleep of a person is one of the most important components of life success. How much sleep to be productive and collected depends on your biological rhythms. It is extremely erroneous to believe that lazy and weak people sleep a lot. You just need to learn how to fall asleep properly.
How to achieve this:
- Do not eat at night. Eating can lead to frequent awakenings, especially if you have eaten a lot of sweets;
- Sleep with the account turned off. Bright light prevents the production of melatonin, a hormone that helps you fall asleep. This way you will feel better in the morning.
- Don’t exercise. Your nervous system and muscles will get overexcited, and you won’t be able to sleep for a long time. Therefore, leave the exercises for the morning, and in the evening do, for example, yoga.
A person who has had enough sleep feels not only better, but also happier. Proper daily routine and the absence of bad habits improves health and relationships with others.